The objectives of the working group are:
- To work towards forming a consensus on standard PCR-based diagnostic methodology, able to complement or even replace the current standard in dermatophyte diagnosis, direct microscopy and culture.
- To bring together clinicians, scientists, veterinarians, laboratorians and others united by their common interests on dermatophyte diagnosis and other diverse aspects of dermatophyte science.
- To motivate young scientists (i.e. molecular biologists, taxonomists, etc) working in mycology to join dermatophyte research and motivate clinicians to incorporate scientific advances in their work.
- To build a database with dermatophyte sequences, representing the global dermatophyte variability. This database could work complementary to other similar databases (e.g. the CBS dermatophyte database).
- As a secondary aim, to start registering the contemporary geographic distribution of the various dermatophyte species and strains, thus paving the way for a future systematic work on global epidemiology.
- To preserve dermatophyte strains (in international Culture Collections, eg. CBS etc.), make them available to the international scientific community, thus encouraging further research.
- To form a platform for the free exchange of ideas on the topic.